Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Kudos To Student Pastors

Major props to all the youth pastors who read my blog. (i can think of maybe 5) I just finished speaking at a local middle school. I only had twenty minutes and I spent the majority of my time asking them to be quiet and listen. I had forgotten that student pastors spend more time trying to quiet the crowd. I talked about chasing lions. [thanks Mark Batterson]. Never want to forget about how tough a job you guys really have. I know sometimes you may go unnoticed, but I am thankful for guys that will spend hours and hours with students. It makes a Pastors job easier. Great job student pastors.

10 comments:

Nathan Rogers said...

Thanks bro. You know I have great love for ya! Remember - no matter what anyone does, I will always be the first to bring a group and work with ya. (Or you with us??)

Anonymous said...

thanks for the props bro...i feel ya man, but really the simple truth is... students don't care if you know their not listeing...adults just know how to fake it

yohoster said...

alright alright!!! Such kind words brother Johnson, many appreciations. Here is a discipleship thought for you and any other potential reader: What if we attempted to teach adults in similar fashions that we use to teach students? Just a thought - I don't know where I am at with that yet...

but it kind of goes along with your bro's comment...

be blessed.

Aaron Johnson said...

I love it when a bunch of Student Pastors get together and began pushing pastors to push the envelope!

John exactly what ways do you think might work. I would be interested in implementing some new ways of teaching.

I love this kind of dialogue!

Johnny maybe we(I) need to improve our(my) communications skills. I think yesterday showed me that I really better have something good to say!

yohoster said...

I'm not one hundred% sure. I mean as I think about how we encourage children to memorize scripture by sitting with them and going over and over it with them. I wonder if we apply that much diligence to other areas.

or

finding out what truly excites our people and using that as a tool. that sounds like student ministry.

how about this thought:
getting a student leader to facilitate a small group of adults....

a bit that i took from YS - it isn't about what we have to say but about what they hear!

Nathan Rogers said...

Man it all starts with student pastors. Think about it! We wouldn't use contempory music in worship if it wasn't for student ministry. No powerpoint, media shout etc... No movie scenes to drive home a point. Forget about things like igniter videos or sermon spice. Drama? Short term Mission trips? It all starts with Student ministry man!!! Shoot-just look at what we are doing and you will see where cutting edge churches will be in about 5 years.

Anonymous said...

i listened to rob bell tonight & his communication was amazing...without going into great detail, i think we need to think more about our delivery...maybe we need to ask the question, would i listen to this, would i stay awake, would i hold my attention...maybe we need to look at the way Jesus communicated, how did he hold their attention...he had to have thought of that...i know one thing, i can speak to students all day long with great ease...but when it comes to communicating to adults i slip into PREACHER mode & it almost doesn't feel like me...great quote from yoho, it's not about what we say as much it is about what they hear

Billy Howard said...

I concur with Jons thoughts on communication .................................................................................................................................................................I put all the periods to make my comment longer. I just wrote what seems to be a thousand page dialog-so I don't have much else to say. You can call me crazy!

Billy Howard said...

man it didn't put all the periods I did.

Jon Smith said...

Aaron, your words of affirmation are awesome. Keep up the good work in Washington.....give me a call sometime and we'll just chat about CityReach a little...say hi to your fam and andrew for me.