Saturday, September 23, 2006

- so you want to be a church planter -

I stole this statement from Jason, but I liked it and wanted to list a few things I've faced since becoming a church planter living in Washington, PA:

1. Moving to a city with no contacts - absolutely insane

2. Relocating to a culture slightly different than Arkansas

3. Honestly having no idea what I'm doing

4. Completely relying on God to provide everything

5. Prayer becoming essential and not just "as needed" basis

6. Working with a staff

7. Doing small groups

8. Seeking to build relationships with everyone

9. Moving thousands of miles from family and only seeing them twice a year

10. Conversations with friends via e-mail and cell phone becoming the norm

11. Children crying wanting to go see their grandparents

12. Being the new guy/pastor in town

13. Finding a new college team to root for

14. Resisting the urge to launch early

15. Office being located at home forcing sermon prep to be done at Panera Bread

16. Staff meetings held at the Inspirational Care

17. Not being afraid to ask for money




3 comments:

Sheff said...

Great thoughts. I am glad you followed the Lord to become a church planter.

Jeff said...

I have a very serious question dealing with one of your thoughts. #13 has me intrigued and confused. I have spent time ministering in Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, and now planting a church in Missippippi. I love college football, and I only root for teh best team in the world. Their colors represent the King of kings, purple, and the royalty that He is, gold. Yes, they are from my home state, Louisiana. Yes, they are the LSU Tigers. Nothing less. I can't find another team, I would have to lower my standards. You probably rooted for the little pigs of Arkansas, so I don't blame you for looking for better pastures! Love ya bro!

yohoster said...

Keep up your efforts! I want to come up to Washington soon.

Nehemiah 8:10