Tuesday, January 16, 2007

No Other gods

Since I moved here in June, I preach every Tuesday at the Christian Outreach in Washington. It is an organization which feeds and clothes the hungry. I am currently preaching through the Ten Commandments. The first two commandments deal with worshipping other gods and erecting idols. While Moses was at the top of Mt. Sinai receiving the law from God, Aaron his brother, was at the foot of the mountain leading the children of Israel in an idol making class. As we begin to question Aaron, I think we must first examine our own lives. There are gods or idols that each of us place before God, whether family, work, ministry, sports or extra curricular activities. We don't only place them before God but we worship and adore them. We spend more money, time and energy on them than we do God. When I was in junior high I idolized Michael Jordan. I had posters, books and watched every game he played. I love him. After I got older, the posters came down, the books got thrown on the shelf. You and I need to tear down some posters & throw some books on the shelf. We need to get rid of the idols that take the glory from God.

No comments: