Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Hot Dogs





My pops left today after spending a week with us. We had a blast. Yesterday, he mentioned wanting to go somewhere unique for lunch. We ended up going to Shorty's. It has been around for 70 years. They serve hot dogs and fries. One unique menu item is the brown gravy and fries. This is a staple for peeps in Washington. Whenever someone is giving you directions, they always start by saying, "do you know where shorty's is." Shorty's is also unique in that all kinds of people are there. You will find lawyers, doctors, college students and construction workers. They also still allow smoking. If you don't like smoke, don't go. I went with some guys for the first time and they both threw down four each. I think Dad got his request of eating lunch at a unique place in Washington. In November of 2005 there was talk of trying to tear it down for downtown revitalization. Mr. Alexas, his father George, and brother, John, launched a petition drive to save their business and keep its current location. During the first few days of the petition drive, a magic marker bulletin board in Shorty's window showed 23,860 signatures already had been collected, which is a significant number considering the population of the city itself is just under 16,000. If you come and visit we have to go to Shorty's.

2 comments:

Russ said...

I've gotta try out Shorty's my next time up. Looks like it might be similar to Yann's in Fairmont.

yohoster said...

I think I might have to go to my local chili dog establishment and get some dogs, Sheetz. That picture made me hungry!